Adsense

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Natchez Burning

Natchez Burning (Penn Cage Series #4)

I finally finished this book; all 798 pages. # 4 in the Penn Cage series.

"Raised in the historic southern splendor of Natchez, Mississippi, Penn Cage learned all he knows of honor and duty from his father, Dr. Tom Cage. But now the beloved family doctor and pillar of the community has been accused of murdering Viola Turner, the African-American nurse with whom he worked in the dark days of the 1960s. Once a crusading prosecutor, Penn is determined to save his father, but Tom, stubbornly invoking doctor-patient privilege, refuses to even speak in his own defense."

My take on it: most mysteries have one or two bad guys and the good guy trying to right the wrong, solve the crime, remove the bad guy.  This book has a handful of good guys and two states (as in Mississippi and Louisiana) of really bad guys.

 Per Dictionary.com:

Sociopath: a person with a psychopathic personality whose behavior is antisocial, often criminal, and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience

Icky:  disgusting; repulsive. Synonyms: revolting, disgusting (this is the word that kept coming to my mind)


It is full of sociopaths that have been operating for many, many years and getting away with it. They have performed horrible atrocities to black people, white people, animals, family members, anyone they didn't like the looks of. (I.e.Nazi's, Taliban, KKK) The only reason I finished it was to make sure these people did not make it past the end of the story. Unfortunately, I am not sure about that.

It was well written and was a page turner, I will say that much.

I think I will go read a nice cozy now.

1 comment:

  1. Did I stretch your tolerance a little much with this one? You can answer that tonight. LOL

    It was pretty icky in many ways.

    ReplyDelete