Adsense

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Look what I found.

Look what I found on my shelf.
 
 
 
 

About three years ago, I had the opportunity to go through an older collection of books and I brought home this set of four, among others. I hadn't looked at it since. Then recently, I have seen the name, Dorothy Sayers, a few times. I said to myself, "Self, that sounds familiar...". Low and behold I have a set of four.

These books are Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane detective novels from the 1930's.

I really want to read at least one soon.

Dorothy Sayers is pretty interesting. Here is an excerpt from Wiki and the link to her full bio.

"Sayers, an only child, was born on 13 June 1893 at the Head Master's House, Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford...In 1912, she won a scholarship to Somerville College, Oxford,[5] and studied modern languages and medieval literature. She finished with first-class honours in 1915.[6] Although women could not be awarded degrees at that time, Sayers was among the first to receive a degree when the position changed a few years later, and in 1920 she graduated as an MA. Her experience of Oxford academic life eventually inspired her penultimate Peter Wimsey novel, Gaudy Night....Sayers' longest employment was from 1922 to 1931 as a copywriter at S.H. Benson's advertising agency in London. Sayers is also credited with coining the slogan "It pays to advertise . "

Lord Wimsey "burst upon the world of detective fiction with an explosive "Oh, damn!" and continued to engage readers in eleven novels and two sets of short stories; the final novel ended with a very different "Oh, damn!"....Sayers introduced detective novelist Harriet Vane in Strong Poison. Sayers remarked more than once that she had developed the "husky voiced, dark-eyed" Harriet to put an end to Lord Peter via matrimony. But in the course of writing Gaudy Night, Sayers imbued Lord Peter and Harriet with so much life that she was never able, as she put it, to "see Lord Peter exit the stage".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_L._Sayers

I think this is a great find!




1 comment:

  1. How fun! You know, I've never read a Dorothy Sayers book. I keep meaning to. Maybe this year. ;-)

    ReplyDelete