Adsense

Thursday, June 28, 2018

The Deep End by Julie Mulhern

Step back...

I thought I had posted about this really good book, when I came back from break. But I see I did not.
So let me catch up. I did tell you about Julie last week though.

The Deep End is Book One in The Country Club murders.
23250053

Several things attracted me to this series. First, it takes place in the 70's when I was a teenager and graduated from high school. (I won't mention which end of the 70's). The title The Deep End caught my attention because a) We didn't have our own pool b) We didn't belong to a country club c) We went swimming in neighborhood pools d) I never went in the "deep end" because I could barely swim e) When you are a teenager, you really aren't there to swim are you? f) Country clubs and swimming pools were something we dreamed of. g) Reviews said it was funny.

About: 

"Swimming into the lifeless body of her husband’s mistress tends to ruin a woman’s day, but becoming a murder suspect can ruin her whole life.

It’s 1974 and Ellison Russell’s life revolves around her daughter and her art. She’s long since stopped caring about her cheating husband, Henry, and the women with whom he entertains himself. That is, until she becomes a suspect in Madeline Harper’s death. The murder forces Ellison to confront her husband’s proclivities and his crimes—kinky sex, petty cruelties and blackmail.

As the body count approaches par on the seventh hole, Ellison knows she has to catch a killer. But with an interfering mother, an adoring father, a teenage daughter, and a cadre of well-meaning friends demanding her attention, can Ellison find the killer before he finds her?"


What I liked: I loved this book and looking forward to reading more in the series. As I grew up in the 70's, I love the references to food, drinks, clothing, and general culture of the 70's. The commercials from that time are mentioned, Mr. Coffee, the cars, the clothes, etc. Ellison is a very likeable character. You are quickly are on her side. The relationship between she and her mother is testy and very much a part of who Ellison is. 

I love how each chapter ends with a statement  such as "I've never seen anymore look more worried", "He planned to follow me", "I didn't care about that anymore...A huge mistake". You think an issue has been resolved, and then the last line is like those . You can't help but keep reading. 

The writing is very good, easy to follow, fast paced and a well developed mystery. I did laugh out loud a few times with the situations that Ellison got into. 

Good summer read!









No comments:

Post a Comment