Adsense

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

The Great American Read

Thought this was worth sharing.

The Great American Read Season Two series starts tonight on PBS at 7 p.m. central time. You may have seen an opportunity to vote for your favorite book this summer. This series will feature the top 100 American books based on this national survey. I voted for a couple of my favorites and am pleased to see them on the list.



About:
"THE GREAT AMERICAN READ is an eight-part series that explores and celebrates the power of reading, told through the prism of America’s 100 best-loved novels (as chosen in a national survey)*.  It investigates how and why writers create their fictional worlds, how we as readers are affected by these stories, and what these 100 different books have to say about our diverse nation and our shared human experience.  

The television series features entertaining and informative documentary segments, with compelling testimonials from celebrities, authors, notable Americans and book lovers across the country. It is comprised of a two-hour launch episode in which the list of 100 books is revealed, five one-hour theme episodes that examine concepts common to groups of books on the list, and a finale, in which the results are announced of a nationwide vote to choose America’s best-loved book.  

The series is the centerpiece of an ambitious multi-platform digital, educational and community outreach campaign, designed to get the country reading and passionately talking about books.

*PBS does not endorse any titles on the top 100 list."

Check out the website.  http://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/home/
They list of books is available with a check list so you can check off which ones you have read. You can still vote for your favorites. There is a Great American Read NY Crossword Puzzle, a Great American Read book club and other resources. 

Looks like I have read 27 of the 100 books and seen 25 of the movies, some of which I have seen the movie but have not read the book. Also, I think I can put my hands on 5-10 others that are in my house from when my kids read them in school. 

Fun for a book lover to peruse. I will be watching the series.

How many of the books have you read?


2 comments:

  1. I recorded the show last night but haven't watched it yet. I've read 32 of the books. Laughed that some of them are on the list. Flowers in the Attic - really? I've read that one, by the way. Think it felt a little 'naughty' when it first came out. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I read that one also. I remember my younger sister read them all. Some of the books are pretty new, I noticed. Interesting. They have an online book club to discuss them also. I recorded it too, to watch soon.

    ReplyDelete