Adsense

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

The Escape Artist - Brad Meltzer

Our Mystery Book Club read The Escape Artist for our September book.

31933276

About: "Two hours outside of Washington, DC is the mortuary for the U.S. government's most top-secret and high profile cases. America's most important funeral home. To work there, mortician Jim "Zig" Zigarowski has one rule: never let a case get personal. But when a new body arrives--of young female sergeant Nola Brown, who was a childhood friend of Zig's daughter--Zig can't help himself. Looking closely at Nola's body, he realizes immediately: this isn't Nola. Indeed, his daughter's friend is still alive. And on the run. Zig's discovery reveals a sleight of hand being played at the highest levels of power--and traces back through history to a man named Harry Houdini. "Nola, you were right. Keep running."

The story takes place mostly in Dover, Delaware. This is where all fallen soldiers and others from  events such as 911, come. There is a lot of interesting, factual information woven into the story about the base in Dover. I know that this is where the remains of recently returned POW's were sent. A relative of a relative is working on that DNA project to identify the remains.

Once Zig realizes Nola is still alive, and that there is something big is going on, a cover up perhaps, he decides to find Nola. Following her tracks, he gets into some serious perdicaments. We also follow Nola who seems to be on a mission.

Nola reminded me in some ways of Lizbeth Salander in the Dragon Tatoo series. She is a person who is a survivor and has depended on herself her whole life. She has developed incredible skills as a result. 

All in all, I really liked the book. The writing is straight forward. It is a thriller, it moves fast, lots of action and suspense. Many of the characters are not who they seem.

Most of the group liked it. Some felt there were a few questions unanswered that they wanted answered. I believe a sequel is in the works. I would read it.

I was familiar with Brad Meltzer through his T.V. show, Decoded. We watched it regularly. It was about possible conspiracies and getting to the bottom of them. I don't remember if any were solved, but it was an entertaining show. I had never read any of his books. I guess I didn't realize he wrote fiction. I was pleasantly surprised.

You can learn more about Brad here: http://bradmeltzer.com



1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that most liked it. Though I probably won't try more of his books, I liked several things about this one.

    ReplyDelete