Adsense

Thursday, October 10, 2019

Took a detour

I took a detour from mysteries for a few weeks. I think that was enough. I validated that I really prefer mysteries, with an occasional historical fiction thrown it.

  • First, I listened to All The Forgiveness by Elizabeth Hardinger.

43212075

About: "Set in Appalachia and the Midwest at the turn of the twentieth century, this exquisite debut novel paints an intimately rendered portrait of one resilient farm family's challenges and hard-won triumphs--helmed by an unforgettable heroine.

Growing up on their hardscrabble farm in rural Kentucky, fifteen-year-old Albertina "Bertie" Winslow has learned a lot from her mama, Polly. She knows how to lance a boil, make a pie crust, butcher a pig, and tend to every chore that needs doing. What she doesn't know, but is forced to reckon with all too soon, is how to look after children as a mother should ...

When Polly succumbs to a long illness, Bertie takes on responsibility for her four younger siblings and their dissolute, unreliable daddy. Yet no matter how hard she tries to hold the family together, the task is overwhelming. Nine-year-old Dacia, especially, is resentful and stubborn, hinting at secrets in their mama's life. Finally, Bertie makes the only choice she can--breaking up the family for its own survival, keeping the girls with her, sending the boys off to their grown brothers, long gone from home."

An online book club I follow was going to discuss it so I thought I would listen to it and participate. Well I didn't get to participate. They had the discussion during the work day and I couldn't. It was a good story, but those people had a really rough time.

  • I also read a draft of a Historical Fiction for a relative. I don't want to say too much in case it doesn't or does get published. But it is set in the late 1700's - early 1800's and is based on true events. He asked me if I would read it just to see if it flowed and made sense. It will be good. Again, rough lives. When it gets published I will give it a plug here.
  • I read a draft of a short "how to" book for the same person. Again I don't want to give anything away. 

  • Just finishing Shadow is a Colour as Light Is by Michael Langan. This was a read and review.
48107754. sy475

About: "And for the characters in this multifaceted novel, the painter’s work is of crucial significance.

In Hong Kong, will billionaire art collector Walter and his son ever be reconciled? In Liverpool, will artist Nick find peace? In New York, can Joel and Sophie mend their relationship with the help of Cézanne’s work in the Metropolitan Museum?

Through these multiple narratives Michael Langan deftly explores human relationships and asks: can art ever save us?"

So far off from what I usually read that...yeah no. But you might like it. I did receive a free copy.

  • I did read a mystery: Cliff Hanger by Mary Feliz
42515378. sy475

About: "When a hang-gliding stranger is found fatally injured in the cliffs above Monterey Bay, the investigation into his death becomes a cluttered mess. Professional organizer Maggie McDonald must sort the clues to catch a coastal killer before her family becomes a target . . .
 
Maggie has her work cut out for her helping Renée Alvarez organize her property management office. Though the condominium complex boasts a prime location on the shores of the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary, aging buildings and the high-maintenance tenants have Renée run ragged. But Maggie’s efforts are complicated when her sons attempt to rescue a badly injured man who crashed his ultra-light on the coastal cliffs.
 
Despite their efforts to save him, the man dies. Maggie's family members become the prime suspects in a murder investigation and the target of a lawsuit. Her instincts say something’s out of place, but solving a murder won’t be easy. Maggie still needs to manage her business, the pushy press, and unwanted interest from criminal elements. Controlling chaos is her specialty, but with this killer’s crime wave, Maggie may be left hanging."

Cute cover right? I hadn't read any of the other four books in the series. It was a good story. Each chapter starts with an organizational tip. They were all related to traveling. Those were interesting and useful. I also received a free copy of the book through the Cozy Review Crew. 

So....I am ready to get back to my mysteries. 

Check out TCM channel for Halloween themed movies. There are several on tonight and will be shown again before the end of the month.

The Black Cat, Curse of the Demon, The Seventh Victim, The Devil's Bride, The Blood on Satan's Claw (gross), Dracula 1972 version and several others.

The week of 10/14: The Haunting and Poltergiest are on - 10/17. Once was enough for me for Poltergiest. 

You can check out the schedule for the month here. Most of there "scary" movies are on at night.

www.tcm.com

What was the scariest movie you have seen? Here are my top three.

Exorcist
Poltergiest
The Shining

I saw them all when they came out. Never watched them again. 

I will leave you with this Dracula

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9iIf4tFoyE








2 comments:

  1. I hear you on rotating back to your 'happy place' in books. I think that we can venture out, but I think that most of us have a place where we feel most comfortable. Mine, as I'm sure you know, usually includes a 'nice' murder - not necessarily meaning a cozy mystery. Ha! Since Karin Slaughter is included (to Judy's horror!). Horror movies? Poltergeist was a good one and I haven't seen it in years. Those Stephen King 'made for TV' miniseries that I mentioned in group - Storm of the Century and Rose Red - both quite scary. I never saw or wanted to see those creepy doll-type movies. Those would scare me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never watched those SK made for tv. Looked to be too much for me. Or the creepy doll. I like the old spooky movies that leave something for your imagination.

    ReplyDelete