Adsense

Saturday, April 11, 2020

Nordic Noir - mysteries set in Scandinavia

Well, I told myself I was going to do some of my weekly cleaning now but here I am, fooling around. I seem to do a lot of that these days.

This article was posted on a Facebook group I belong to and I found I had read several of the books mentioned or watched a television series. Some we read in our Mystery Book Club. We always have commented that the books set in that part of world are "cold", dark and the characters seem to have a lot of baggage. Well, this article confirms our observations.

I will post a couple of key points from the article, but then provide the link if you want to read the full article.

"Nordic Noir is a dark subset of the crime fiction genre. It is usually defined by some or all of the following:

Brutal crimes
Bleak settings
Tortured protaganist"

Some of the books mentioned are the Girl With Dragon Tattoo series by Steig Larsson, The Snowman by Jo Nesbo, The Wallander series (which has brought a lot of tourism to Ystad for their walking tours of where the series took place) Roseanna by Martin Beck and a few others.

I thought it was a very interesting article and includes some great pictures.

Enjoy

https://www.lifeinnorway.net/nordic-noir/?fbclid=IwAR2gIzSDpq9hjf1jQHS3Gcdxk1v6ZJJZp9sT9KfDQIz8U1Y-iTLluNKQg-M


3 comments:

  1. I loved the Dragon Tattoo series, but I never got into Jo Nesbo's books or the Wallander series. Some of the Nordic books work for me and some are indeed a little too, too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the Wallander series. Never read Jo Nesbo. Read all of Dragon Tattoo. Couldn't watch the movie adaptations. They included Peter May's Blackhouse which we read in book club and we liked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thank you for sharing the link! I love Scandinavian crime fiction and so I need to make sure I've got all of these on my list :)

    ReplyDelete