Adsense

Friday, May 8, 2020

Let's take a look at some of the Award Winners for 2019

We are starting to "reopen" here in Central Texas, but it doesn't feel much different. 
I hear the grocery store is getting easier to manage. (Will see tomorrow.) Restaurants can now allow 25% capacity. (I am not standing in that line. I will wait for awhile, thank you.) Hair salons can open. (Mine has not opened yet but has been in touch.) Libraries can open. (Mine has not yet. Can you imagine how to manage that? A place where people take books off the shelf to look at them, then put them back? The children's area? The community computers?) Health clubs can open at 25%. (I can wait. The weather is good here so I have been bike riding and walking. My yoga teacher from our work class is going to do a virtual class on Saturday via Zoom and I am excited for that.) Although my place of work could open in some capacity, they have chosen to wait another month since we are mostly working from home, successfully. I never thought I was that much of a social person, until I couldn't be. :/



Even the annual book conferences have been affected by the virus. Several conferences that were scheduled recently had to be cancelled. It looks like others scheduled well into the summer and fall are also cancelled. Those that were held, were held virtually this year. For our Mystery Book Club June meeting, we always read Award Winning Books. We will push that meeting to July, but I wanted to take a look at the winners, so thought I would share some here. 

I am only going to feature the few that have been completed so far this year. Many of them have not happened yet but you can see the nominated books and authors. Some have not been done for a couple of years. I will share four categories within an award because some have several categories. I will give you the link at the end to look at all of the awards.



Agatha Awards: The Agatha Awards honor the traditional mystery—books best typified by the works of Agatha Christie. The genre is loosely defined as mysteries which contain no explicit sex or excessive gore or violence; and usually (but not limited to) featuring an amateur detective, a confined setting, and characters who know one another.

Best Contemporary Novel

The Long Call by Ann Cleeves

Best First  Novel 
One Night Gone by Tara Laskowski

Best Historical Novel
Charity's Burden by Edith Maxwell

Best Short Story
The Last Word by Shawn Reilly Simmons



Edgar Awards: The Mystery Writers of America give these awards to honor the best in mystery fiction and nonfiction produced the previous year. The awards began in 1946 and are named in honor of Edgar Allan Poe.

Best Mystery Novel

The Stranger Diaries by Elly Griffiths

Best First Novel by an American Author

Miracle Creek by Angie Kim 

Mary Higgins Clark Award

The Night Visitors by Carol Goodman

Sue Grafton Memorial Award

Borrowed Time by Tracy Clark


Left Coast Crime "Lefty" Awards: The Lefty Awards are presented annually by Left Coast Crime.

Lefty for Best Humorous Mystery Novel
Scot and Soda by Catriona McPherson




Lefty for Best Historical Mystery Novel
The Satapur Moonstone by Sujata Massey

Lefty for Best Mystery Novel
Lost Tomorrow by Matt Coyle

Lefty for Best Debut Novel
Murderabilia by Carl Vanderau

I can't say that I have read any of the books above, but have read others by some of the authors. I have read some that were nominated this year too.

Here is the link to peruse the full list. The go to Book Awards in the left column.
www.stopyourekillingme.com/

Take a look!











4 comments:

  1. I'm planning on reading several of the award-winning books, hopefully before July or whenever we get to discuss them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know things are opening but I'm staying away from stores, restaurants and salons for a while longer. I'm in no rush. I made the mistake of going to the grocery store on a Sunday last week and it was too crowded. Have decided to go early in the morning. Anyway thanks for sharing the mystery winners. I have read The Long Call by Ann Cleeves and liked quite a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation. I have not read The Long Call yet, but do like her books. I am listening to A Better Man by Louise Penn, which was nominated. It is really good.

      Delete
    2. There seemed to be a lot of authors I wasn't familiar with this year, but that is a good thing. Several on my radar.

      Delete