Adsense

Monday, October 5, 2020

All the Devils are Here by Louise Penny

 Gosh I feel like time is getting away from me and that I have been down the rabbit hole. Even though we are still working 100% at home, it seems we are back to our regular volume of work, which means I actually have to work the full eight hours or more to "get it done". On the home side, we have done a few more outings, of taking drives, a couple of masked visits, and football is back, so there is some of that to be watched. 

I listened to All the Devils Are Here on Audible and finished it a couple of weeks ago. Realized I didn't post to me Goodreads list or mention it here. 

I have read all of the books in the Inspector Gamache series and liked them all a lot. I have probably mentioned that the series is a favorite of most of the members in out Mystery Book Club.

This is the 16th book in the Gamache series.



About: " On their first night in Paris, the Gamaches gather as a family for a bistro dinner with Armand’s godfather, the billionaire Stephen Horowitz. Walking home together after the meal, they watch in horror as Stephen is knocked down and critically injured in what Gamache knows is no accident, but a deliberate attempt on the elderly man’s life. When a strange key is found in Stephen’s possession it sends Armand, his wife Reine-Marie, and his former second-in-command at the Sûreté, Jean-Guy Beauvoir, from the top of the Tour d’Eiffel, to the bowels of the Paris Archives, from luxury hotels to odd, coded, works of art. It sends them deep into the secrets Armand’s godfather has kept for decades. A gruesome discovery in Stephen’s Paris apartment makes it clear the secrets are more rancid, the danger far greater and more imminent, than they realized. Soon the whole family is caught up in a web of lies and deceit. In order to find the truth, Gamache will have to decide whether he can trust his friends, his colleagues, his instincts, his own past. His own family. For even the City of Light casts long shadows. And in that darkness devils hide. "

As I mentioned, I listened to this book. The narrator, Robert Bathurst is very good. 

I thought it was a very good book in which we find out more about Gamache's childhood, and his struggles with his own son, Daniel. Meanwhile, the person that raised Armand, his godfather Stephen, is in critical condition and it is doubtful he will survive. As Armand investigates the hit and run, more questions are found rather than answers. And some seem to have a tie to Daniel. Complex story that will have you thinking. If you listen to it, you will want to listen to it within an not too long amount of time and without distraction. Or I would recommend reading the book. I found myself rewinding to refresh what had happened because I would leave it for the weekend or several days. It will keep you on your toes. 

Towards the end, things really pick up and there is a race to the end that will have you on the edge of your seat. And then a heart warming ending. 

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear what you thought about this one, Gayle. I really liked it and am excited to see where she might take us next.

    ReplyDelete