Adsense

Friday, February 3, 2023

The Cloisters and Texas Winter Storm

 Happy February! We don't need a ground hog to tell us there is going to be six more weeks of winter here in Central Texas. Yet another ice storm. People are still without power, I have not internet, trees down everywhere. So this will be quick!

First: I was upset to get a notice that one of my posts (from a couple of years ago?) was recently deleted because it was against Blogger guidelines. Whaaat? I know I did not write anything questionable or distasteful. All I can think is that there was a hacker or troll that made a really bad comment. I debated on deleting this blog. But decided I will just need to approve any comments for now.

I just finished listening to The Cloisters by Katy Hays.

About: 

"When Ann Stilwell arrives in New York City, she expects to spend her summer working as a curatorial associate at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Instead, she finds herself assigned to The Cloisters, a gothic museum and garden renowned for its medieval art collection and its group of enigmatic researchers studying the history of divination.


Desperate to escape her painful past, Ann is happy to indulge the researchers’ more outlandish theories about the history of fortune telling. But what begins as academic curiosity quickly turns into obsession when Ann discovers a hidden 15th-century deck of tarot cards that might hold the key to predicting the future. When the dangerous game of power, seduction, and ambition at The Cloisters turns deadly, Ann becomes locked in a race for answers as the line between the arcane and the modern blurs.

A haunting and magical blend of genres, The Cloisters is a gripping debut that will keep you on the edge of your seat."

Since the power is flickering as I write, let me just say I am still waiting to be gripped to the edge of my seat. The writing is good in that if flows well, moves at a pretty good pace. It woulda/coulda/shoulda been interesting to me. Ann is working at The Cloisters as sort of an internship at this branch of a museum with antiquities, research etc. I like things about those. Ann is from a small town in Washington State. Small town girl goes to the big city and makes bad choices. And surrounds herself with people who also make bad choices and are bad people. 

Should have the Mystery Book Club's take on The Violin Conspiracy for you next week!


1 comment:

  1. Gayle, hope you guys get life back to quasi-normal soon. Our area did not have it as bad as the Austin area. We have seen lots of pictures from friends and family and what happened to their trees. Sheesh!

    I have a copy of The Cloisters, but I haven't tried it yet. Not sure when I will be motivated to read it, but at some point I'm sure. I have finished The Violin Conspiracy and will be sending you a note probably tomorrow with my thoughts. Take care!

    ReplyDelete