Adsense

Friday, January 5, 2024

Rock Paper Scissors by Alice Feeney

 Happy New Year! So far so good.

Here is the first book I have finished for 2024. I listened to it as an audio book. 


About: "Things have been wrong with Mr and Mrs Wright for a long time. When Adam and Amelia win a weekend away to Scotland, it might be just what their marriage needs. Self-confessed workaholic and screenwriter Adam Wright has lived with face blindness his whole life. He can’t recognize friends or family, or even his own wife.

Every anniversary the couple exchange traditional gifts – paper, cotton, pottery, tin – and each year Adam’s wife writes him a letter that she never lets him read. Until now. They both know this weekend will make or break their marriage, but they didn’t randomly win this trip. One of them is lying, and someone doesn’t want them to live happily ever after.

Ten years of marriage. Ten years of secrets. And an anniversary they will never forget."

This is definitely a psychological thriller. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to give anything away. To sum it up, people in the story are not what or who I thought they were. The people in the story are not who or what the characters thought they were either. The story is somewhat spooky, very suspenseful and at times I wasn't sure I could continue with it. Nothing terribly gory or too much swearing or that sort of thing. Just gave me a bad feeling. Yet it was like that saying, " like watching a train wreck and you can't look away." There were times I actually gasped and said "what? No..."

I wasn't that happy with the ending. It is similar to many plots right now of couples behaving badly. In this story though, who is the couple and who is the bad person? Or who isn't a bad person. It will keep you guessing.

Let me know what you think. 



2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've read this one. I do know that I listened to an author event with Alice Feeney and the Poisoned Pen. The book of hers that I've read is Sometimes I Lie and it was all kinds of crazy. I do own a couple of other books by her, but they are unread. One day. The whole face blindness thing is something I find very chilling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really good if you like surprises. And it was" all kinds of crazy". But I couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete