Thursday, August 6, 2026

Reader's Bill of Rights

 I went to an activity at a library last month and they were giving away books! I got two. :)

The also posted this that I thought was worthy of sharing. They showed The Reader's Bill of Rights. Fun to look at. It was written by Daniel Pennac for his book The Rights of the Reader. (Who would have thought?)

The Ten Rights of the Reader
The right to not read

The right to skip pages

The right to not finish a book

The right to reread

The right to read anything

The right to escapism

The right to read anywhere

The right to browse

The right to read out loud

The right to not defend your tastes 

We talked about each one and what we thought about them. We always say in our Mystery Book Club, "if you don't like the book we are reading, you don't have to finish it."

The right to not defend your tastes. A couple of Sci Fi fans said they get strange looks or negative comments about their preference for Sci Fi. I am afraid I give a blank look to people that say they are romance fans. Crickets.
The right to escapism. I think most in the group said they read to escape. 
The right to browse. That's what the library and book stores are for right? I do have to stay out of book stores though. lol
The right to read anywhere. I have read a hard cover while walking in the neighborhood. Probably not the best idea.
The right to not read. It's hard to believe but some people do not care to read for fun. 
The right to read out loud? I haven't done that since first grade. Do people do that?
The right to skip pages. I have been know to skip over too much description of scenery, too much violence or bad language.
The right to not finish a book? I rarely do not finish a book I start that I have chosen or is for "book club". I can only think of one that I didn't finish and don't remember the name of it. 
The right to reread: I rarely do reread a book unless it's a book of humorous short book.
The right to read anything: I used to read anything that was in range if I was somewhere boring, dentist, doctor, parent's friend's house, classroom. Now with Kindle and library books on our phones, I can read my books that I have chosen.

Do any of these get your speak to you?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2127973.The_Rights_of_the_Reader

About: "The Rights of the Reader", which has sold over a million copies in France, grew from celebrated French writer Daniel Pennac's experiences of teaching in "challenging" schools. Central to the book is his belief that readers have to read what, how, where and when they want, and - if they choose - the right NOT to read. This fresh, new translation combines the talents of award-winning translator Sarah Adams and renowned artist Quentin Blake, who illustrates and introduces the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment