Adsense

Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Guaranteed to Bleed by Julie Mulhern

Guaranteed to Bleed is the second book in The Country Club Murder series by Julie Mulhern.
And it was my second audio book, ever. I think I am getting the hang of it, although sometimes I need to rewind a bit to catch something. This book has a few "whaaat?" moments that I felt the need to rewind.

25435042

About: 

"With his dying breath, Bobby Lowell begs Ellison Russell, “Tell her I love her.”

Unable to refuse, Ellison struggles to find the girl the murdered boy loved. Too bad an epically bad blind date, a vindictive graffiti artist, and multiple trips to the emergency room keep getting in the way.

Worse, a killer has Ellison in his sights, her newly-rebellious daughter is missing, and there’s yet another body in her hostas.  Mother won’t be pleased.

Now Ellison must track down not one but two runaway teenagers, keep her promise to Bobby and elude the killer—all before her next charity gala committee meeting."


 We find out more about Ellison and her family and her "friends", while Ellison finds yet another body or two. I love the complexity of the story - so many levels to it, which will transition to the next book and the next. I snickered several times. 

I love the references to things from the 70's: Tab (soft drink, that I drank regularly in the 70's, that I would still drink if that had left the saccharin instead of putting in aspartame), Tame cream rinse (I think that is the only one there was), Life cereal (I still buy a box once in awhile. It was my favorite. "Get Mikey. He'll eat anything."), Victoria Holt books (my favorite at the time) and Mr. Coffee (still my favorite).

 I like the romantic triangle that is developing between Ellison, Anarchy, Hunter and Francis' attempt to manipulate it. Even though Ellison is a grown woman, her mother is trying to set her up. I actually like Francis. Even though she seems overbearing, we see how she really is trying to look out for Ellison and Grace, now that they are alone. And I love her housekeeper Aggie. Luckily she used to be a private investigator so she can keep up with Ellison and all the trouble she runs into.

Like book one, this book does deal with a tough issue though. Grace and her friend Donna runaway. Ellison is of course trying to find them. The reason they ran off is a due to a sad situation. It actually reminded me of a similar thing when I was probably Grace's age in the 70's and had a friend that I helped in a similar way because of an almost similar situation. 

What else was popular in the 70's?  Bars with female impersonators etc. Yes it's true. So we get a short snippet of that.  Oh my. The 70's.

If you are looking for a series to get hooked on, I recommend the County Club Murders.


2 comments:

  1. I've heard of other bloggers who have liked this series. I keep meaning to try it. I did meet the author at Left Coast Crime (I think that was where) and told her I'd heard good things about her series. She was surprised, but appreciative. The '70's - what a decade. Where did I leave my platform shoes? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie has a facebook group and post pictures from the 70's of food and décor. Some of it is really awful. lol

    ReplyDelete