Adsense

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Week at a glance...

My week off work is coming to a close. We had several household and home maintenance things that needed doing. Some of it got done. Some of it is still waiting. I put an ad in the Daily Prophet for a house elf but didn't get any responses.

I did watch the second episode of Wayward Pines. I am really liking this show.
It is a series of 10 episodes based on the book series by Blake Crouch. It is a series of 3 books.

Refresher: Ethan Burke (Matt Dillon) is a Secret Service agent sent to find 2 missing agents. He ends up in Wayward Pines. Once in the town,  a person cannot leave. He tries a few times. There seems to be an huge electrical fence around the town. People who try to leave are killed. The citizens seem to think the current year is in the 90's. No one is to speak of their past. Any time Ethan tries to call home, he get the answering machine. Any time he tries to call his office, he really gets the secretary of Wayward Pines jail.

The story is building...he thinks he sees his wife and son being brought in to the "hospital" but we know they are at home getting ready to look for him. Not sure what that means with M. Night Shyamalan directing. 

A really good thriller!

I also watched The Gourmet Detective on Hallmark Movies and Mysteries.
http://www.hallmarkmoviesandmysteries.com/gourmet-detective
I have recently discovered Hallmark's mystery movies and really enjoying those also. The Gourmet Detective is based on books by Peter King.
Gourmet Detective


"In The Gourmet Detective, a culinary phenom uses his mastery of food, drink and cooking to solve crimes of the culinary world. Whether it´s the theft of a valuable recipe or a suspicious murder in the middle of a five star restaurant, his insight, skills, and encyclopedic knowledge of all things edible always lead him to the culprit."

The main characters are Henry Ross (Dylan Neal), gourmet chef, and Maggie Price (Brooke Burns), detective. The story takes place in San Francisco.

The movie begins with Maggie attending a cooking class given by Henry, where she takes an instant dislike to him.

Soon after that evening, Henry is witness to a suspicious death at a food gala at an upscale restaurant, where he started his career as a chef. Maggie is brought in to investigate and quickly wants to make Henry a suspect. During his questioning, her boss takes note that Henry is very observant and seems to have good deduction skills. She decides he will help Maggie in the investigation. There is a lot of bickering between the two but also some chemistry.

The movie is very well done, good story and moves along at a good pace. It looks like there will be more.

FYI: On Monday 5/25/15, this channel is showing 3 Garage Sale Mysteries back to back. Since we are expecting rain, I may be watching these. I will definitetly be recording them.

Yes I am currently reading a book also. Actually two, one online through a blog and one for my Mystery Book Club. Not ready to "report" yet.

I am reading A Demon Summer by G.M. Malliet and The Assiduous Quest of Tobias Hopkins by James Faro.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Loved your Daily Prophet ad - no elf huh? I haven't had any luck with that either. LOL

    Will be glad to hear how your reading went. I haven't watched the Wayward Pines show, but maybe after it's over I'll see if it is on Netflix. We're watching the second to last season of Justified and then will watch the last season which is on our DVR and has been waiting all spring. Kind of ready to take a break from TV for a few months. Lots of reading to do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean Kay. I accidently found these one night, kind of late, when my husband was watching hockey playoffs - and still is. I don't like to read late at night so these are good for later in the evening movie. If I just didn't have to go to work during the week....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh. That sounds interesting to me Andrea.
    Wayward Pines kind of reminds me of the tv series Lost also. Looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea, I went to the web site and I don't see how to send you an email for instance. I would love to get a printed version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there, Gayle! Just ran across your blog here. Wayward Pines sounds very interesting. Unfortunately I didn't catch either episode yet, but I'm definitely planning on watching it sometime! Probably when it's a bit further in.

    Have you ever read the book series by Jim Butcher called the Dresden Files? I don't know if you're into contemporary/urban fantasy and mystery type genres, but I'm currently re-reading the series for a second time, and I love it (a warning, though: many people find the first couple of books very hard to get through. But they get better!).

    All the best to you,

    Eve
    Edge of Night

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Eve. Yes I highly recommend Wayward Pines. I have not read the Dresden Files. I will have to check it out. I liked Twilight and Harry Potter so I do like some magical, supernatural type books too. Thanks for the recommendation. Maybe I can find the episodes they did on Netflix for summer watching too.

    ReplyDelete