Adsense

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Happy 2020! What are your book resolutions?

I had to double check when I typed "2020". That seems so weird, doesn't it? Think back to the turn of the century. Doesn't that sound scary? I mean the year 2000. Many thought that was the end of technology as we know it. Even scarier is to realize that was 20 years ago.

Well, here we are, another year with new opportunities. I suppose we are all making the usually resolutions; eat better, loose weight, exercise more, be happier, nicer, work harder etc.

Do you have any book resolutions? How many books do you want to read in 2020? You can go over to Goodreads and set a goal. I set mine last year for 40 books. I read 54. I am surprised. Some people set a goal for 10 books for the year. I saw one person set a goal to read 250 books in 2020.Wow! As much as I would like to read more, I have to be realistic for myself. I can read 3 or 4 a month. That's really about it. And you need to set what is realistic for your.

Why read? All the ways to watch movies and t.v. now why take the time. You can "watch" on your television, on your laptop, on your phone with so many "streaming" options. Here are just a few reasons to take time out to read.

  1. Mental Stimulation
  2. Stress Reduction
  3. Knowledge
  4. Vocabulary Expansion
  5. Memory Improvement
It really is good for you.

So what is my book resolution for 2020? Read all of the books I have purchased, won, and been gifted in 2019. 

No you are right. I probably can't do it. But I really want to get started on them and do the best I can. They all sound so good. I have all varieties of mysteries, and some non mystery fiction. 

Who are you looking forward to reading more of in 2020? I know several of my go to authors have books coming out this year. Just off the top of my head, in no particular order:

Julie Mulhern: Poppy Fields and Country Club Murder books
Jack Benton (Chris Ward): Slim Hardy series
Janet Pywell: Mikky dos Santos
Shawn McGuire: Whispering Pines series
Liz S. Andrews: Harley Henrickson series (I have the latest one to talk about this week)
David Ahern : Madam Tulip series

I want to get back to reading Susan Wittig Albert. China Bayles, Darling Dahlias and now the Crystal Cave novellas. This features Ruby from the China Bayles books. 

I have not yet read A Better Man by Louise Penny. I have read all of the other Gamache books. 

I am lined up to read a couple of non mystery fiction this month: Love Lettering by Kate Clayborn. I was gifted this from Kensington Publishers for joining their online book club. I am also waiting for The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa. This is another on line book club selection. Mysteries remain my favorite genre but I am feeling like reading some others lately also.

For our January selection, our Mystery Book Club is reading Dark Matter by Blake Crouch. I have not read any of his books but loved the series, Wayward Pines, based on his Wayward Pines trilogy.

We will not be getting more books from one of my favorite authors. I was very sad to see the M.C. Beaton passed away on December 30, 2019 at the age of 83. I love the Agatha Raisin series and the television adaptions. 

Happy Reading!




4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I hope you've been enjoying the holiday season. I try to be realistic with my book goals too because I love to read but also have other hobbies that I want to spend time on. Good luck with your reading goals and hope you find lots of great books in 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gayle, first of all, Happy 2020! This is really a thoughtful post and I agree that reading does a body (and mind) good. I hope you enjoy Dark Matter. I had read it before and then did a reread for the meeting. We'll see how it goes over. I was sad to hear of M.C. Beaton's passing as well. Take care and see you in a week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am liking Dark Matter so far and I bet I could read it in one or two sittings, if time allowed. I am already anticipating what the group says about it. :)

      Delete